View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #542 (permalink)
phunk
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370
phunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond repute

The AQP hose we use inside the tank for the fuel starvation kit is not "rated" for in-tank use. However, we have been successful with it for years in other applications. The only thing I have noticed is that it can stiffen up a bit, but I haven't had one fail yet... Some being submerged going on like 10 years now. I certainly hope it does not cause an issue for anyone.

Getting hose that is rated for submersion in fuel isn't always an easy task, especially once you get away from 5/16 size hose which is the most popular fuel line size. There are SAE ratings that judge a hose for its purpose, pressure, and location. However, you can purchase hoses made of the same materials that do not have the SAE ratings.

Very few manufacturers care to let us know if their hoses are up to the task... So it's often up to us to individually research a hose and try and find out what it's made of.

But yes, it definitely matters. Most fuel lines only have a very thin inside lining that is compatible with fuel. Once the outer layers begin to degrade, there is nothing supporting the inside liner to hold up to pressure without bursting.

Most people don't think anything about it. I have seen tons of guys use stainless braided fuel lines in their tanks... None of that stainless braided hose has an outer jacket that is fuel safe. As time passes, fuel will degrade the rubber between the liner and stainless braid, until the inline eventually fails. It can take years though. Sometimes it can happen quickly.

There are 2 different hoses I use inside the tank. Both have seen 100s of installs where they lasted years and are still going strong. One I have had a couple failures from but it seemed like a special case since so many others haven't.

I have all the equipment to assemble OEM type nylon hoses and quick connectors... And I will be moving to it more when I get more comfortable with it. It's much cheaper and lighter, I just don't trust it as much yet as far as temperature and abrasion. There are other concerns I have with it in terms of aftermarket integration if anyone wants to talk about it I can go into details. I almost supplied nylon for this project.

I try to use PTFE hoses for almost everything that I can. That stuff is where it's at. Unfortunately you cannot clamp it down on a barb, meaning there are limitations to where you can use it. If it were up to me, we would use it for everything.

edit: revisiting this issue, i have found a manufacturer of a SAE submersible rated hose in the correct size that can be used with standard barbs and clamps. I cant find it in stock anywhere, but they are at least listing the proper size in existence. Last I checked, I could only find it in 5/16. It looks like it would be about $200 to purchase it in enough length for this application. Another website it comes up about $360. Ultimately, not effective. If anyone has a problem, we can get this stuff. But I am hoping we dont see anything come up.

Last edited by phunk; 08-14-2013 at 07:01 PM.
phunk is offline   Reply With Quote