Thread: Car Decisions
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
Brutal 370Z
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 11' MB/Pers/6M/S/Nav
Brutal 370Z will become famous soon enough

OP - First and foremost, I had a 350Z when I was 16 so I speak from experience.

I didn't find that there was an issue with the car being too powerful at that age. Its actually not the greatest feat in the world to get used to 300+ HP so don't worry about it being too much power to handle.

Some of the concerns that I would have for you are as follows:

- insurance: if the car is registered under your name, this will be an issue. My 350 was under my dad's name so I didn't feel this. Also, you need to determine how much your parents are going to help you out on this because at 16, I'm sure you have other priorities to spend your money on other than car insurance.

- winter: I've been driving a rear wheel drive sports car in the winter for 7 years now, and although I'm used to it, it still isn't a joke. Just like Colorado, we get a lot of snow here in Toronto, and there are some days that I don't even take my car out and just cab or borrow a parents' car instead. So be prepared for that.

- Other 16 year olds at your school: WILL BE JEALOUS. I had anything from dirty looks and comments to full fountain pop cups being thrown at my car. So be prepared for that as well.

Some of the pros:

- chicks: enough said
- 2 seats: no way to cart around all your friends that don't drive and/or don't have cars
- responsibility: from my personal experience, my parents continually explained that having a car like that at an early age was a privilege. Some of the contingencies were getting no tickets, getting straight A's, and generally being a good kid. I think it helped me become more responsible.