View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #5560 (permalink)
roy'sz
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2010 nissan 370z
roy'sz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JARblue View Post
Not quite sure what you are talking about when you say incorrect... I said "normal driving" - i.e. not Schedule 1 or Schedule A where you stop and start a lot without getting the engine temps up. It has nothing to do with the amount of stop signs or stop lights or traffic; it's exclusively for people who stop and start the car a lot without letting it reach normal operating temperature (like a courier or delivery driver or something). I can sit in traffic for 10 minutes and reach 200F+

Normal driving is Schedule 2 or Schedule B (depending on the owner's manual). Also, my owner's manual (which I have read) says 7500 oci for that schedule, not 7000
Really bro...really? It actually does. If you are waiting for 10 other people to drive through a stop sign your car is getting......HEAT SOAK. Same applies with driving in city with lots of stop lights. Accelerating and stopping creates a lot of heat under the hood VICE driving down the freeway at a nonstop or avg speed where there is constant air flow to the engine, oil cooler, etc. So in theory it has everything to do with it because its a "driving style" compared to someone like me where I worked 2nd shift and I could make a 50 mile trip to work in 55 min without getting below 40mph for 95% of the trip.Only 2 miles on city roads means the car stayed cooler and consistent driving temps made for oil longevity vice sitting in bumper to bumper traffic heat soaking the hell out of the car. Hope this explanation helps. Thanks for the correction on the 7000, I truly meant 7500.