View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #20 (permalink)
Alstann
Track Member

Drives: 12 PW 370z 6MT Sport
Alstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0velMan View Post
Oh and your figure for 2.5" dual is a little off.

2.5" Dual = 9.817 sq inches
2.75" single = 5.939 sq inches
3" Single = 7.068 sq inches
3" Dual = 14.136 sq inches
3.5" Single = 9.621 sq inches
4" Single = 12.566 sq inches
4.5" Single = 15.904 sq inches

Edit: re-read your post, I see where our numbers are different, you're subtracting wall thickness. Pipe diameters should be ID rather than OD. So subtracting thicknesses should be unnecessary.

Edit 2: And the reason they over-estimate pipe size is because most of the flow is happening at the outside perimeter of the pipe, so a general rule of thumb is to add 10-15% (with the percentage being smaller the larger the pipe diameter) to the pipe size to allow for turbulence losses at the center of the pipe. Sounds silly, but it's been worked out many years ago by folks a lot smarter than us hahaha.
Erm, not to dispute, but according to my fluid mechanics knowledge, the main flow of a fluid through a closed pipe is in the center. The velocity on the edges of the pipe is actually approaching zero. It's actually a large reason why polishing an intake manifold adds little to no gain, even a loss, depending on the application.

A straight increase in pipe diameter does not net a linear change in exhaust velocity, if I'm correct.

Last edited by Alstann; 07-28-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Alstann is offline   Reply With Quote