View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #84 (permalink)
luigi90210
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Classified
luigi90210 has a spectacular aura aboutluigi90210 has a spectacular aura aboutluigi90210 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck33079 View Post
Turbos definitely have a different power curve, but it's not a problem. You just have to adjust the way you would approach a corner. Torque coming on earlier isn't a bad thing, the car will just want something different from your driving style to be smooth. You really should be looking at throttle response, not the shape of the curve. A SC will always have a sharper throttle since it's belt driven. You definitely give up some response with a turbo in exchange for much greater torque. The turbo will have more area under the curve since you're making more power earlier. If you decide you'd rather not make full boost until closer to redline, you can set up your boost controller to do that on a turbo kit.

For heavy track use, I'd stay away from the Stillen more so than for street use. It has an issue with heat soak. The heat exchanger is undersized, and I'd rather have an air-to-air intercooler on track over a water-to-air. You'll hit a wall going for more power with it since the MAF piping is undersized, the injectors are too small and the tune they give you with it is bad. You can make it better, but I'd always start with a kit where the ceiling is higher. Once you figure in the cost of fixing the Stillen kit's shortcomings you're getting close to the cost of a GTM kit. There's a lot of guys here on the forum who bought the Stillen kit and have now pulled it off in favor of a turbo setup. I've never seen someone take off a GTM kit.
this is also very true and i do agree with you as far as the stillen being bad for track use without some modification to the kit but i feel if OP is going to do light to moderate track use, the stillen kit should be fine(just swap out the heat exchanger for a larger unit and run a 70/30 water/coolant mix)

thing is a lot of the people who ran the stillen here live outside of california(or have residency out of california), as a california resident, for me to get the GTM kit and go around getting fake smogs is going to cost more in the long run vs fixing and modding the carb legal kit(yes i know it technically voids carb legality but no one will check it ever, even the smog refs)

id love to PM about this topic some more

as far as turbos go, it all depends on the tune and the set-up, when i modded my turbo eclipse, it threw off my power curve a bit and i have some spikes down low, as a whole though it wasnt bad(plus lag wasnt really a problem since its a small turbo) but i personally love the throttle response N/A gives and that is something a turbo will never be able to fully achieve
luigi90210 is offline   Reply With Quote