View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
chrischhorn
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2014 Juke Nismo RS
chrischhorn is a splendid one to beholdchrischhorn is a splendid one to beholdchrischhorn is a splendid one to beholdchrischhorn is a splendid one to beholdchrischhorn is a splendid one to beholdchrischhorn is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JARblue View Post
Yes. Yes he did.

I think the EBC red stuff don't require bedding either. I wasn't able to bed my Hawk Performance Ceramics as precisely as I would have liked due to unexpected traffic at 9 pm, but they are fine and perform much better than the stock pads ever did.

My experience with bedding brakes
( Click to show/hide )
My understanding of the idea of bedding brakes is to get them good and hot to transfer an even layer of pad material to the rotor for proper operation. If you do this too quickly, the layer is likely to be uneven as the pad can quickly and suddenly increase the deposits when certain temperatures are reached (varying with different pads and other conditions). Therefore, you want to do lighter bedding at the beginning to gradually increase the level of deposit. And of course, you never want to engage ABS.

The experience that has worked best for me is starting with 2-3 runs braking from 50mph down to 20mph. Mash down on the brake pedal good, but you don't need to be close to kicking in ABS - just trying to heat them up gradually here. Next are the 60-10 runs, and these are the ones you want to be all in on the braking. Basically you want to brake as hard as possible without engaging ABS - error on the side of braking lighter as ABS will put marks on your rotors or worse, leave uneven spots of pad deposit if hot enough. I usually do 60-20, 60-15, 60-10, 60-5. The quicker you can do these, the hotter your rotors will get. If you can get the rotors good and hot, one good 80-10 will finish the job. I generally do 2-3 when I can't do the previous runs fast enough.

Not enough road in Hawaii to properly embed the brakes lol.

R.I.P. 8/01/13 1SlowZ
One day I'll have another....
chrischhorn is offline   Reply With Quote