View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #62 (permalink)
ElVee
Track Member

Drives: 13 370z 7at t+s grey
ElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond reputeElVee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuse370z View Post
What RPMS do you guys normally shift up at? What speed do you downshift?

How do you take care of turning fast on a large intersection when you cannot reach for the paddles because your steering wheel is turned?
I don't often actually look at the tach when I'm in Manual mode (which is 100% of the time). I just go by how the engine feels and sounds; I use Manual mode largely to have the power availability exactly where I want it (and to hear the engine/exhaust when I want to), so it's a feel thing.

I've found despite turning, I can still hit the paddles at any time as needed. If for some reason things are awkward, I use the gear shifter about 50% of the time anyway. I'd say if things are awkward and you're going a bit closer to the limit, you don't want to be shifting in a turn anyway, but in normal at-speed traffic and turns just do it whenever. If you use the paddles enough, it just becomes second nature to shift hands to switch, if they're out of their normal place.