View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009, 03:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knives
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2009 370z 6MT
Knives is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstar87695 View Post
Hey everyone, Im just now getting into the world of exhaust so i have a few basic questions so i know what to look for when I buy my exhaust soon.
1) What are the basic parts of the exhaust system and what do you need to buy when upgrading exhaust?
2) what exhausts are out right now that come close to an american mucle sound? obviously its not going to sound anything like a muscle car, i just dont want to sound like a honda civic.
3) any other basic things a noob should know?
Thanks!

1) You have the exhaust manifold, downpipe, catalytic converter and catback.
You can replace the headers, cats and go for a cat-back exhaust. You have a bunch of options, but consensus is that replacing the stock exhaust manifold with short headers doesn't add much over stock. If you dont mind the sound or possibly failing emissions, your best bet is to replace the stock cats with either hi-flow cats (Berk has a great product) or straight pipes. You could get long-tube headers (I know Tony over at Fast Intentions Inc. is designing a set which should be out soon).
2) There are a bunch of youtube video's out there that show the sound of various exhausts. If you want a deeper sound, to me, Stillen or Fast Intentions (the one I went with) (12'' resonators over 18'' if you want it louder) is the way to go. Links down below.
3) If you plan on going turbo, you need a larger diameter exhaust (ex: the 3'' GTM exhaust). Make sure you know your state laws regarding carbon emissions.

Stillen: YouTube - STILLEN 370Z Dual Cat-Back Stainless Exhaust System
Fast Intentions (12'' resonators): YouTube - 370Z Fast Intentions TDX Exhaust and Berk HFC

Last edited by Knives; 10-17-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Knives is offline   Reply With Quote