View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #39 (permalink)
DIGItonium
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 Z34-TT 6MT
DIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond repute

Yea, they cut out a section underneath to clear the path to cut the exposed section of the hood. The line in the pic was partially cut to help fold the flap, which was a bit delicate. To hold them in place, they used some fiber and epoxy. The vent gap is about 1" wide, so hopefully it's enough to vent something. I'm told their drift cars have these vents as well.

The shop handling my car specializes in auto body repair and PDR, and they're not too excited about custom work like this. The tech will use an epoxy that can adhere to aluminum (possibly same as what he's using for PDR of the body panels). He will try to fill and clean the epoxy and weave section, and also deburr some sharp and rough edges. I'm told it'll take about 8 hours of labor.

In the near future I might try to go back underneath the hood to clean up the work, add grills and some reinforcement as well. If I decide to add some silver foil tape, it'll be for the vented section since I want the hood to dissipate heat - not reflect it back.

It is a lot of work, and I hope my car doesn't have to endure a freak hail and wind storm like this again... just one more year till I get a hold of a beater car haha.

Last edited by DIGItonium; 07-17-2013 at 04:30 PM.
DIGItonium is offline   Reply With Quote