View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #382 (permalink)
dmhenderson
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: AWD TT 370z
dmhenderson is a splendid one to beholddmhenderson is a splendid one to beholddmhenderson is a splendid one to beholddmhenderson is a splendid one to beholddmhenderson is a splendid one to beholddmhenderson is a splendid one to beholddmhenderson is a splendid one to beholddmhenderson is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck33079 View Post
The demographic for Lambo buyers really doesn't worry about any of this because it's not their only car, and the maintenance costs are less of an issue to them than Z maintenance costs are to us, respectively.

The people who these cars are intended for aren't looking at any Zs. For a point of reference, think about it like this. If you make $150k annually, a Nismo is 26% of your annual income if you just bought it outright. That same percentage of income spent by someone who makes $1m/yr (not a huge amount in the scheme of rich) is $260k. That's the target market for these cars. The people with a quarter of a million to drop on transportation are not looking at Zs. Honestly, they're not really looking at GTRs either.
This is exactly right. The thing is, the lambo doesn't seem like a sensible car for you because you don't exist in that tax bracket. I bet the nismo 370z doesn't seem like a realistic choice for someone in high school either. This all goes back to my earlier point that owning a car is an experience with upkeep costs and not just a "point of sale" transaction. I can still remember a point in time where I thought a $300 car repair was exorbitant