View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
YzGyz
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2010 Nismo
YzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond reputeYzGyz has a reputation beyond repute

The next evening, I continued the project with Waxing the car in the garage. I just bought my car and the dealer had just waxed my car about 2 weeks ago. I wipe my car off with a soft lint free cloth then proceeded to wax my car as directed by my wax battle. I much prefer the liquid waxes over the hard type like Turtle Wax. They are just a lot easier to work with IMO. I believe a good wax job is critical in a good outcome of this product. I think it will allow the product to spread and self level a lot better. Just think of nonstick pans vs regular pans. Crack a egg in a nonstick pan and the egg spreads out a lot better in that vs a regular one. This is why I went ahead and waxed my spray areas a 2nd time. I wanted to make sure it had as smooth, glossy, mirrors finish as possible. My car basically got 2 coats of wax on intended spray area. I applied the was by had with the applicator, let it dry (30 min in TX heat), then buffing with a new buffing cloth thingies that I put on my buffer. Sure is worth the $35 for this machine. Manual buffing is tiring. This night came to an end and so I closed the garage and went inside.

The next day was taping and masking day. I tacked down the brown paper with some blue tape here and there to hold her in place. I then cut out the shape I needed with a scissor with taped the bottom and top edge. This was insurance in case I accidentally touched my car with the scissors. I cut out the shapes I needed about 3'' from the area I planed to spray. Blue tape was used to secure the newly cut contour edge but leaving about 1'' un-taped where I plan to spray the 3m. I then taped a 2nd layer of tape over the 1st layer (1st layer = layer holding the brown paper down) with one edge as accurately to the edge where I want the 3m to spray on to. The reason for this is that You have to remove the tape prior to the 3m spray drying. By layering this 2nd tape, it allows the tape to more freely be removed. You don't want to remove a big mess of tape and brown paper if you can help it. That will lust lead to unnecessary risk of touching the fresh 3m spray.
YzGyz is offline   Reply With Quote