View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #1917 (permalink)
Cmike2780
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: slowwww
Cmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saber View Post
35mm even with a 1.5 crop factor? i figured it would be serviceable for portaits, no?

the kit lens at 55x1.5 gives me a rough focal length of 80, and i figure the speed light should give me enough light to get away with it for now.

thanks for the link for the sync cord though, i'll look into it. i was struggling trying to think of where i'd bounce my light off of on those stupid high ceilings

instead of the portable diffuser, i sometimes end up using the diffuser dome that came with the flash; any difference in operation, or with the orange/incandescent filter that came with the flash? (i'm really really not good with flash lol)
It's not so much about what you see in the frame as it is the distortion associated with the wider lenses. A 50mm lens is still 50mm on a crop sensor. When they refer to DX equivalent or crop sensor equivalent, they're talking about how much of the shot is in the frame. It just cuts off the outside edges because of the smaller sensor. You're literally "cropping" what you'd normally see on a full-frame sensor camera. This is one of the advantages of going full-frame. Us DX shooters have to make do with the distortion or take a few steps back to get the same shot in the frame.

It really depends on what you're shooting, but here's an example of how it can make or break a shot. Same face, same frame, different lenses:

The kit lens has is f/5.6 @ 55mm. It might be okay with the flash and getting the right exposure, but you won't get much in the way of bokeh @ f/5.6. Again thought, there are no set rules for anything. It depends on the shot you're after.

The diffusion dome works okay, but not my favorite. It's still a bit harsh. The filters are more for matching the type of lights in the space you're shooting in. It works well, but you need to set a custom white balance or shoot in RAW to get the most out of them. I either use a softbox like the one I linked to or bounce the flash off the ceiling. I don't know if the sb700 has it, but I usually pop up the white catch light card thingy also.

Cmike2780 is offline   Reply With Quote