View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Haboob
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '18 GTI Autobahn DSG
Haboob has a reputation beyond reputeHaboob has a reputation beyond reputeHaboob has a reputation beyond reputeHaboob has a reputation beyond reputeHaboob has a reputation beyond reputeHaboob has a reputation beyond reputeHaboob has a reputation beyond reputeHaboob has a reputation beyond reputeHaboob has a reputation beyond reputeHaboob has a reputation beyond reputeHaboob has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEpointfive0 View Post
What?
I'm still confused... I'm not trying to act like a dìck, I'm really not, just trying to have a conversation.

First of all, the RX7 was made until 2002, and American importation ended with 1995.
I understand that the RX7 was expensive for their day but it still was fast, and if it really was THAT good of a car and they made money and what not, I'm sure it would still be here.

The RX8 was made from '02-'03 to 2012, and it its "RENESIS" engine was supposed to be more reliable with unbreakable apex seals and lower emissions and such, and being NA it was supposed to be more reliable. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case, engines were dying left and right. They got threatened with a class action lawsuit because so many motors were failing. Not because Mazda makes a bad motor, because the rotary isn't designed to last.
It was as bad as Nissan's CVT, they extended the warranties of the engine to 100k miles, like Nissan to 120k, and I KNOW people who have had the engines pop right after the 100k and 2 of them got kicked to the curb and the other was taken care of.
The problem with a rebuild on the rotary is that the dealerships don't want to touch it, your normal mechanic WON'T want to touch it, and if you're after your warranty the main guy for people like us in SoCal, even though it has one of the biggest car scenes in the world, if a guy named Jeff. He works at his house, it's a legit shop, with his house integrated into it, LOL. And Jeff will charge you $2-4k depending on how bad your rebuild is (if the housing or rotor got damaged [granted, used rotors are CHEAP]) and depending on which apex seals you go with (they range from $180-720 for a set), they make some that don't break for around $500 a set, problem is, that they bend, and you'll lose compression, and now you need another rebuild, but you still need to take the motor out again... And the only reason why they are cheaper than the $700-800 ones is because they are of lesser quality, thinner, 2mm vs 3mm...
(So far normal engines and rebuild costs sound GREAT to me, had a Toyota rebuilt for $1500 with labor of the swap and a 2 year unlimited mile warranty)

And to put the final nail in the coffin.
In 2011 Mazda's Net income was at a negative of $600~ million

I think I'd be willing to wait the extra 20 sec to 5 min (Lotus) to have anything, but the Miata.
Haboob is offline   Reply With Quote