View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #24 (permalink)
theDreamer
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370z
theDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck33079 View Post
Since the back of the hood and windshield is a high pressure area, wouldn't removing the seals there or raising the back of the hood cause air to be forced under the back of the hood at speed? Kind of like a cowl induction hood on a domestic? Airflow coming in that way would interfere with the air exiting the back of the radiator. I'm all for lowering underhood temps, but I'm not sure tha's going to work as planned. I would expect it to have some positive effect when stopped, just not at speed.

Right now the next items I've got to do for heat management is venting the fender liners, putting in a slightly lower temp thermostat, and going to a different mix of antifreeze and water. A vented hood may happen down the line, but I'm not sold on that on a daily driver.
Well you might get a good report here soon...if something happens for me.
On the hood seals, it would depend on the air pressure under the hood. Like the GT500 this is true, that is why they vent from the front because air pressure is pushed forward to that point and is released from there. The Z might push air backwards possibly or down even while driving which means the best venting is the vented hoods and under the car.

Need someone to run some pressure tests on a stock hood and determine airflow during idle, slow driving, WOT, etc.
theDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote