View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 07:16 AM   #75 (permalink)
cheshirecat
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: N54 135i
cheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantgti7 View Post
I know cheshirecat that you said you're new motors ate oil for the first 5k-6k and then settled down and that I am only 3k in but this is the last year of my powertrain warranty and I want to get this resolved before it is too late.
P.S. - I am thinking about having them add an oil cooler? Maybe if the temps were brought down, it wouldn't burn any more oil?
You have a warranty on the engine (1yr/12k miles) that persists regardless of what state your powertrain warranty is in. I had mine changed at 58k and it was covered until a year or 70k, whatever came first.

Don't think that once you tick past that powertrain warranty period that all of your coverage expires. The parts and labor are individually warrantied by Nissan beyond your car's coverage.

The reason I'm advocating that you hold off on declaring the motor a failure is because you have that year/12k miles to evaluate the engine. If it's still an issue past 5k, you should absolutely follow up and get another block. There's no reason the engine should be consuming more than 1qt every 5k miles at that point. I'd say that "normal" oil burnoff is .5-.75qt per 5k.
cheshirecat is offline   Reply With Quote