View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013, 06:17 AM   #48 (permalink)
bvl
Enthusiast Member

Drives: MB Roadster (sold)
bvl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSS138 View Post
What type of oil/filter and what Oil weight would you recommend I use if I track my car once a month in SoCal-mainly willow springs etc. It rarely gets below 60F here is usually above 75 F? This is my daily driver and first season of track, but can already see how hot the car gets. Now that the summer months are in, I expect it to be hot out there soon.

Also, any feedback/comments on the 2012 Oil Cooler? How effective is that thing? It does not appear to be huge, but at least it is something.

TX guys.
For track you are looking for a very shear stable product. Folks have mentioned a lot already and I think all of them would do you fine (M1, Amsoil, Motul, Redline).

If you are looking to have extended oil change intervals as well (since your track time is not that frequent), you want a product that has a good additive package as well. To me, that would mean looking at M1 0/40 SN (Wally world has it now in 5 quart jugs...winning)

Redline would be a bad choice for extended OCI's: great product for shear stability but not the best add pack even on their street synthetics (not talking about their pure race products...which is race only really).

For a street oil, Pennzoil Ultra is also an excellent product and their 5/30 has been showing very good UOAs on our Z (PA, 90+deg humid summer days) and I wouldn't hesitate to run that at a track event either.

- b
bvl is offline   Reply With Quote