Thread: DIY cai?
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 11:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
synolimit
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2013 Silver 370z
synolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond reputesynolimit has a reputation beyond repute
Default DIY cai?

Z1's installed

All done. I ended up needing a 2 more couplings, 45* ones. If someone would have made 30* I think it'd be a little better. Because of the extra 15* I had to bend some tabs outs of the way where the bumper snaps to the support bar. I think you have to do this to the stillen anyways but its no big thing. The pipe isn't hitting anything and the couplings aren't kinked or will rub anything that will hurt them so I'm real happy with fitment. There is not much movement so no need for a bracket. Over all its a perfect fit, 2.5" pipe, lots of silicone so no heat soak! And even though I needed 2 more couplings, I didn't néed all the pipe so next time I could save money by not buying 36" of it.

So to update this I have all the parts needed but the filters. I ended up getting what you see in the pics. I'm going to cut my MAF sensors off the stock air boxes as its the same ID as the Stillen's. the couplings provide the bends needed and it will sit just like them.

Now doing this I've spent about $110 on the 6 couplings and clamps. I could save more if I bought a lot of each item and I was thinking about eliminating the 90* couplings as people on eBay sell pipe in a 90* bend. I'd just give them the length I needed since the filter end is shorter than the MAF section. The k&N filters that Stillen uses are $70 shipped from the cheapest place I could find online. So people out there doing drop in's for around $70, or whatever the drop in's cost, for $110 more you now have a Stillen setup! Its the same size pipe, same MAF, the only difference is the post MAF tubes. Z1's post MAF tubes run about $112 but this way you don't have to drop $500+ cash right away for Stillen. You can spend $180 first, get the cold air like the Stillen's, and then buy the post tubes and only have $292 invested!!

Parts needed

2- 2.5" straight couplings
2- 90* bent couplings
2- 45* bent couplings
2- 2.5" to 3" couplings
2- 2.5" long, 2.5" piece of pipe for in between the 90* and the 2.5" to 3" coupling
2- 2.5" long, 3" piece of pipe for the K&N filter to bite onto the end
2- K&N RU-2820 filters
16- hose clamps
1- 36" long 2.5" pipe
Then later if you want, post MAF tubes.

Pipe, couplings, clamps all put together kinda.

More close up of everything.

Anyone make there own intake? The stock MAF tube is 2.5" OD and nice and straight. A simple cut and you'd be done. Now if you didn't care about heat you'd just install a 2.5 ID K&N filter and call it a day.

But for those that care about heat and want to run the filters behind the bumper it doesn't seem that hard to do. Looking at the stillen gen 3, right before the MAF housing is about a 45* bend in the pipe. A simple 2.5" silicone coupling in a 45* bend would do nice. Same goes for the 90* bend around the core support. So 4 couplings, 2 filters, and a foot or two of 2.5" aluminium pipe off eBay and it seems pretty easy. I'm guessing around $100 or so. If you want to do the whole system pick up the post MAF tubes from Z1 or else where for $108-125 and you got what I'd say is a pretty simple, cheap, CAI.

Anyone do it because I didn't see it in the DIY section?

Last edited by synolimit; 04-17-2014 at 02:42 AM.
synolimit is offline   Reply With Quote