View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #433 (permalink)
ChrisUR
Base Member

Drives: 370Z Black Edition
ChrisUR will become famous soon enoughChrisUR will become famous soon enough

@Spikuh

thats a good idea but I'm positive we wouldnt need extra braces when my design is finished. The angled braces left and right running towards the front will be doubled, means 80mm (3.149 inch) width and 20mm height and the horizontal brace will be 60mm (2.362inch) wide and 20mm height (0.787inch).

the material we use is a 2mm (0.78 inch) wall thick hollow square steel pipe.

The welding done by my professional welding friend (who also did the welding for the lower plenum adapter) assured me each welding point he makes between the new brace and the stock brace mounts can hold about 1 ton - we make 12 welding points on each strut tower.

I drove the car without any strut bar after the GTR plenum was in place. You felt a significant difference in driving especially as my car runs 3.5° negative front. Every wheel rut was very annoying.

Then for my last track day I cutted the stock brace horizontal and installed it only connecting the towers to the firewall. That made a tremendous difference and I couldnt feel any disadvantages on the race track - I even drove 2 seconds faster than a few months ago with the stock plenum and stock brace. Even though I had the impression that on a very bad road surface there was a negative effect not having the full brace.

In 2 weeks I'm on the race track again with the completed and fully installed new brace - you will get real world experience and honest reports as always.

Chris