View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 09:54 AM   #21 (permalink)
john370z
Base Member

Drives: 2007 335i coupe
john370z has a reputation beyond reputejohn370z has a reputation beyond reputejohn370z has a reputation beyond reputejohn370z has a reputation beyond reputejohn370z has a reputation beyond reputejohn370z has a reputation beyond reputejohn370z has a reputation beyond reputejohn370z has a reputation beyond reputejohn370z has a reputation beyond reputejohn370z has a reputation beyond reputejohn370z has a reputation beyond repute

OK...Here is my review of the System. I have the Eclipse deck, Boston Acoustic Pro 5.25 component speakers front, Stock rear speakers, 2 Boston Acoustic GTs125 amps. Bluetooth Module, XM Sat module, Back up camera module, steering wheel control module, 36 sq. ft. Dynamat, 10 Boston Acoustic G5 Sub-woofer in a Zenclosure box. The read speakers are powered by the deck not the amp.

Initially I just got the sub box, and woofer and thought that was all I was going to want since I THOUGHT the mid and high;s were OK. The woofer killed the system. After installation, the mid range was lost and the woofer overpowered the factory system and it sounded worse.

The eclipse head unit will take a learning curve that will be a few days but so far there are what I like and dislike.

Like:
Looks cool
Sounds great...awesome!!!
Nav works well and looks cool
Backup camera works well..
Pivot face up feature is nice.
USB thumb drive input is nice!

Dislikes:
-Steering wheel controls lag, and are VERY limited as to what they control.
-In IPOD mode you cannot change tracks with the steering wheel you can only cast forward and rewind the currently playing song.
-In XM mode you cannot toggle though your presets with the steering wheel button you can only choose station up or down. VERY ANNOYING!!
-Must defeat the e-brake control since it will not allow you to place a call using the virtual keypad without the e-brake up.
-Volume up and down buttons are very small and can be a bit challenging to use. Dial is much more intuitive. Steering wheel buttons work OK but lag about 1/4 second and is noticeable.

The system sounds GREAT. Extremely sharp and clean bass, mid and tweet. I have found that saving a lot of music on a USB thumb drive and hooking it to the deck is better than using my iphone. Bluetooth works great! I have to say it again...the sound is now awesome!!!! I will post again later to tell more. I know I am a little negative about the deck only because I am having to learn a new thing and not finding it very intuitive, but after a few weeks I am sure I will grow to love it! I am not good at writing these reviews so if you have and questions please don't hesitate to ask.

John