View Single Post
Old 01-24-2009, 02:27 PM   #23 (permalink)
dad
Grand Prix of Endurance

Drives: Mulsanne Straight
dad has a reputation beyond reputedad has a reputation beyond reputedad has a reputation beyond reputedad has a reputation beyond reputedad has a reputation beyond reputedad has a reputation beyond reputedad has a reputation beyond reputedad has a reputation beyond reputedad has a reputation beyond reputedad has a reputation beyond reputedad has a reputation beyond repute

Tip No. 9:

Don't hesitate to ask a salesman to be quiet while you drive. "In fact, I prefer a guy who concentrates on what the car is doing and what traffic is doing," says Gilmour. "When a driver gets chatty and happy, then we're just cruising. That's a joy ride. Man, I hate joy rides."

Tip No. 10: If you're granted a test drive, do not turn on the car's radio or fiddle with its nav system. Mess around with the electronics while you're parked in the lot, not while racking up miles.

Never take your hands off the wheel "to see how she tracks."

If you're male and are overly "friendly" with a saleswoman, she'll ask a salesman to ride along as protection, and that guy will make a point of ensuring your test drive is as brief as humanly possible.

"And if you answer your cell phone during a test," adds Brueger, "then I know you're bullshitting me. I'm offended when a guy asks me to prove the worth of my products and then takes that opportunity to chat with the guy fixing his lawn mower."

Tip No. 11: If you're having trouble getting a decent test drive, offer to fill out a "buyer's order," the document that includes all your particulars and the sticker price of the car. This document isn't legally binding, and you don't have to complete the last line, which states the car's negotiated price. But if a salesman is waffling about whether you deserve a solo test drive, he can take a completed buyer's order to his boss. That has the effect of proving you're serious, and if you wrap up the car on the drive, it also shifts some of the blame onto the general manager. Again, the goal is the same—make the salesman comfortable, and you'll get what you want.

Tip No. 12: After a brief test, be genuinely honest (but not arrogant) about any complaints or reservations you have, because it may earn you a second, longer drive. "Last week a guy said to me, 'I'm worried that these tires are so quick to squeal, and I'm not entirely comfortable with the driving position,'" recalls Ford salesman Mark Davis. "And I told him, 'That's because these are M+S-rated tires. But I have this same car, except with 17-inch Bridgestone Potenzas and electrically adjustable pedals—how 'bout you try that one?'"

Tip No. 13: If it's a rare or particularly expensive car you want to test, visit the dealership first to "qualify" and expect to return later to drive. "Obviously, testing a Cobalt is no problem," explains Chevrolet sales manager Eric Gilliam, "but testing a Corvette Z06 or a Cadillac CTS-V is. Even huge dealerships may have only one in stock, and it may be sitting in the showroom. I don't mind getting it out for you, but I can't do it at the drop of a hat."

Tip No. 14: To derive the most productive test, select a dealership out in the sticks. Traffic is less dense there, and the showroom is more likely to be near twisty country roads that will allow a more revealing test. Just as important, pick a dealership in an affluent suburb, where crime rates are low. The salesmen who come into the least contact with crooks are the salesmen most likely to trust you for solo test drives.

Tip No. 15: "It's okay to treat me like a jerk, but only if I treat you like a jerk first," says Ford salesman Davis. "Otherwise, leave your ego and prejudices about car salesmen at home. If we immediately get into mortal combat, why should I be keen on giving you a lenient test drive? Plus, the real kicker is this: If you do buy the car, the price you finally pay will be the same as if we treated each other like long-lost buds. I mean, what's the point? Save yourself the Rolaids.

We can do without any article of luxury we have never had; but once obtained, it is not in human nature to surrender it voluntary.
dad is offline   Reply With Quote