View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #29 (permalink)
Alstann
Track Member

Drives: 12 PW 370z 6MT Sport
Alstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to allAlstann is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy535 View Post
How long did it take for you to do the install? Jacks or lift?
I did the install in about 6-7 hours, haha. To be honest, it could have gone quicker, but I kept finding a reason to go into the house and make a snack. It's honestly a pretty straightfoward install!

I used 4 jack stands, set to highest point. I used a long, low profile jack as my transmission jack. Granted, I did have a friend over to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cell View Post
link to the DIY install guide please?

I'd like to try and do this install myself and would like to know what tools are needed to tackle a job like this.

Also, where did you buy your CMC?
I used nothing but basic hand tools - no air tools. Make sure to have swivels, extensions, many sizes of wrenches, and ratchets. It's really not too bad!

I bought my CMC from Joe@ZSpeed. Best price I could find on short notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsolo View Post
A DIY to changing out the clutch?? That's a pretty major job and a big undertaking. I think the scope of this is beyond most garage mechanics. Dropping the trans is a bit different than doing an oil change. At least a 2 person job.

If you're interested, a good starting point would be the fsm.
It is quite a daunting task - but I'm nothing more than a shade-tree kinda guy! I've never done a transmission in my life, but I consider myself to have lots of mechanical knowhow and common sense. The FSM helped greatly, just to check on what I'm removing, in the right order. But it's nothing crazy, my order of work was:

Exhaust>Driveshaft>Shifter Assy.>Transmission electrical connectors>Transmission. It's very general, but it's nothing crazy like pulling a motor or anything! More detailed instructions would include the lower metal bracing, starter motor, and slave cylinder stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsolo View Post
@diddy535, bookmarked that page. Will give it a read later tonight.

If you have a well equipped garage, I suppose its doable. Would need some way of supporting the trans. Air tools would be helpful too. Main concern is if you're looking for a diy, this might be too big of a job for you. There's lots of little details and nuances that the diy won't cover - certain procedures and techniques. Knowing how to deal with issues as they come up, etc.. If you're mechanically inclined and have some idea what you're doing, by all means go for it!
Agreed! Having the mechanical knowhow is the biggest help in working on a car. Just knowing why stuff works and tricks and tips is the key to victory. Just remember - a surgeon didn't assemble your car, just another guy that works at a factory. If he could figure it out, you can too.

-------------------

I actually was gonna take pictures and do a diy, but to be honest, at 4 in the morning, I was less than excited to do so. Sorry! If anyone has any detailed questions, I'll be happy to help and talk to you!

I'll update you guys on the CMC - it seems like an easy job. 2 bolts hold it in the engine bay, and just the push rod to disconnect from the pedal. Afterwards, I'll flush the system, gravity bleed, then 2 person bleed.