View Single Post
Old 06-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #38 (permalink)
Nixlimited
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 15 GT-R / 11 Prius
Nixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldg636 View Post
Newb question here . . . . I'm trolling all of the forced induction forums trying to do the research for my own TT build . . . If you don't have a boost controller, the boost pressure is set by the wastegates? So, no matter what, your boost will remain at a consistent pressure, regardless of gear, RPM, etc? Also, do most boost controllers monitor the pressure as well, or is it a good idea to have a stand alone boost gauge as well as an EBC?
Without a boost controller, the boost level is set roughly by the wastegate(s) spring(s). This is a fine way to do it if you are going to stay at lower boost levels and don't want to ramp boost hard, but it's not really ideal. A boost controller will give you finer control and the ability to ramp boost harder by preventing the wastegates from cracking gradually as the boost pressure rises.

Also, a turbo car is rarely at the same boost pressure. The boost pressure is driven by things like RPM and load (which changes with gear selection) and is constantly moving around. The only situations where you will see fairly consistent boost is while cruising where you are making very little boost and under WOT when the boost controller is regulating the max boost.

Electronic boost controllers do measure pressure, otherwise they would not be able to do their job. I guess you could say that manual boost controllers also respond to pressure in a manner of speaking, but there is no kind of digital output. Not all electronic boost controllers are meant to be used as gauges. Some, like the AEM TruBoost fill both roles nicely. The HKS EVC like I am using is too bulky in my opinion to be exposed and used like a regular gauge. As such, you should definitely get a standalone gauge unless going with a special application like the AEM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmogirl View Post
Well it seems the used sbc controller I bought on ebay is faulty and almost cost me my motor.. Will never buy used again..
Yeah, this is definitely not the place to cut cost in a TT build.

Last edited by Nixlimited; 06-09-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Nixlimited is offline   Reply With Quote