Thread: Mike's Journal
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2009, 07:56 PM   #99 (permalink)
Mike
The370Z.com Sponsor

Drives: 370z
Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond repute

Akebonos don't work on the track, at least not on a short track like Little Talladega. I mentioned before I boiled the fluid and toasted the stock rear pads in one session at the East Coast Z Nationals when running HP+ up front. I then replaced the rears with HP+, so I was running both on the front and back with valvoline synthetic. I did 1 day at Road Atlanta then one more day at Little Talladega at a time attack, where they boiled again, and today when I pulled them this is what I found on every caliper. Fortunately, I have 4 good dust boots out of the 12, and the seals are all still fine. They should get me through this weekend for the rears, although I will have to have a set of rear brake pads overnited tomorrow for a back up, and then a rebuild kit for the rears before Road Atlanta the following weekend.

Anyways, not pictured are the HP+ pads with all of the factory paint burned off of them. This is a picture of one front caliper upon removal today:

and this is my solution, the bolt on front Brembo GT Caliper set. Unfortunately, they didn't quite clear my 18" wheels and I had to slightly grind the outer ends of them for clearance, so they are being repowdercoated a satin black tomorrow.

Hopefully these and some Motul fluid will do the trick. We will know next week.

The funny thing is, I've never been real hard on brakes and never had a problem with my 350Z brembos, Stock Corvette brakes or C6 Z06 corvette brakes on the same track. I guess the akebono's are more show than go.