View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013, 06:17 AM   #112 (permalink)
bvl
Enthusiast Member

Drives: MB Roadster (sold)
bvl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftomodachi View Post
I drove a 2012 BMW 335i. Very similar in performance to the 370z BUT the level of refinement is just not there in the z. This level of refinement is the premium that you pay. From what I read the Cayman was Nissan's target when designing the 370z. I'll take a 2014 Cayman over the Z hands down IF I could afford the maintenance costs. But $350 oil changes that only authorized mechanics can do is a waste of money imo but part of the price you pay to own a Porsche. God forbid when they get older and **** starts breaking down. That's why rich people just buy another one or trade up to a 991
I think this has been covered in other threads...but here goes again.

1. Weight: cayman is lighter
2. physics: yes the engine really is in the middle, and it does matter
3. phenomenal steering feel: this is just a design, and a system working together. 991 goes to electric and may not be quite as good but the bar was already very high
4. Materials: cabin is made of more premium items for the most part. One exception: NAV unit in the Z is very good compared to PCM in 987 Porsches. The 991 is better but I think I still prefer the Z's unit. 991 interior has more updated look and feel where as the 987 cars are a bit more classic Porsche

We own both, both have their virtues but to say a Z is hands down a better driving car means you probably have not lived with both.

Parts are more on zee germans, but how many people here would pay $200/y for a oil change on a porsche (10K OCI, M0/40 yes you can DIY) vs. $160/y for 2 Z oil changes using synthetic/ester (3750 intervals by factory manual).

Hmm...maybe its really not that much more to maintain one for the first X years?

- b, who is not rich but owns a few drivers cars
bvl is offline   Reply With Quote