View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
9Zs_Ed
Base Member

Drives: 10 Rdstr Trng Spt 6M
9Zs_Ed is on a distinguished road
Default Tire repair kit - any good?

I picked up a nail in my tire last night, most likely VERY close to home, and overnight my tire went completely flat. Today, I drove it about 2 miles until the warning light came on and I got it back home; no more than 25 MPH.

Left sidewall rubber trail on my driveway and garage floor, so maybe the tire's already trashed. The tire was too hot to touch when I first got it home. Again, 2 miles, < 25 mph.

Anyway, I can feel the nail and it's pretty near the center of the tread, WELL away from the sidewall, so it should be repairable (IF it's not already trashed).

Then, I filled it up to 40 psi, and I can HEAR the air coming out. RIght now, I have the car positioned so the nail is at the bottom and the pressure is now 28 psi, 2 hours after I put the air in, so, with the weight of the car on it, it slows it down quite a bit.

But, under driving conditions, I don't know if I can trust being able to drive the car 10 miles to the tire store. The alternative is getting a tow.

So, I was thinking of using the "fix-a-flat" kit just to hedge my bet to get the car there and was wondering if it does the job.
9Zs_Ed is offline   Reply With Quote