View Single Post
Old 06-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #69 (permalink)
roy'sz
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2010 nissan 370z
roy'sz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
I didn't remove any metal and an orbital sander doesn't really spin at high speed. It just basically removed all the pad deposits and all the glaze off the face of the pads. Obviously removing actual metal this way would result in an uneven surface, which only turning would restore. I finished the rotors with scotchbrite too.
If it doesn't last then I'll look into new rotors and pads but no cost except for time means I had nothing to lose.
I put in a full day of spirited driving today and so far so good.
well its worth a shot in the dark. I had read this while on my cellphone and I thought you had just bought new rotors and I was like WTF? I still think you will have issues. 80grit it some hard stuff and being that what you did isn't a machined process where it is even then that is what I am worried most. Sand paper does take metal off, I use it to polish bearing journal fits all the time. At the same point we aren't talking much but when you have a small amount missing and if it isn't even then you run the risk of having a imbalance. May not be noticeable now but will be later. I would stick with oem rotors for the most part and maybe upgrade pads if you aren't tracking it.