View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 10:32 PM   #109 (permalink)
Nismo_370
Base Member

Drives: Nismo 370z
Nismo_370 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMFairlady21 View Post
Ok guys

My name is Alex and I represent the shop that hosted the Dyno Day... it was done at Performance Motorsports (New Page 1)

Dyno in question is a Mustang AWD Variable Load Based Dynamometer
Last calibrated the morning of the dyno day. We recalibrate the dyno weekly to make sure everything is within spec since we use it heavily throughout the work week. We are UPRev's #1 Pro Tuner and our in house tuner is constantly on the dyno tuning mostly 350zs and G35s, majority of which are boosted.

The way our dyno differs from a dyno dynamics is the way load is distributed... iirc the dyno dynamics has a set percentage that it applies evenly throughout the RPM band. Ours is a variable load based dyno which simulates road conditions. We plugged in OEM specs of the 370z before dynoing the cars.

The way we dyno is the same way as the pics shown below... with 3 fans blowing up front. The dyno is in a soundproof room with a vacuum for the exhaust fumes. All the participants were setup the same way and given their standard SAE corrected final figures. They all ranged from 304rwhp to the OP's posted rwhp. Even had an 04 G35c w/ a Vortech SC doing 34xrwhp w/ a really messed up tune from another shop.

Basically what I want to point out is that by no means did we "pad" numbers or do any changes to the dyno to get desired results. A couple of the guys did before and after mods dynos and the gains are pretty much in line with what has been seen throughout this forum. I will hope that the rest of the dyno participants can take some time and post their results.

I am not sure why the outputs were high... our shop GTR in stock trim dynoed @ 410awhp iirc... And we are consistently within less than 10-15 whp difference from the closest competitor shop's dyno output (he has an eddy current Dynojet).

It could be the way our dyno is setup where pretty much the car is sealed in a room etc.? or maybe our rollers need servicing? or a million other things.... but bottom line is, like what was mentioned by others before.... A dyno is best used a reference to gains or losses from modifications done to the test vehicle and for tuning purposes. Wanna know how fast a car really is? Go race the other guy or go to the strip and get your trap speed, calculate that with vehicle weight and some other factors that i cant remember of the top of my head, maybe someone can shed light on that formula?

So I'll try in the next dyno day to see how far off these first set of reading are.... also our shop 370z with Greddy TI-C exhaust, Berk Test Pipes, Injen Long Intakes pulled 316rwhp... but it also has only 2xxx miles I believe, how far off is that from the norm?

Hi Alex! Thank you for the information.

I find it so funny that people who needed a "nice, long explanation about how I made no sense", specially those who claimed to have "balls" to flame me all of a sudden quiet, and haven't asked you a single question in regards to your post, ignoring your post... I guess its a shrinkage problem

Would be nice to hear from experts from this forum, on what they think about this particular Mustang Dyno @ Performance Motorsport.
Cause i thought it was the most accurate Dyno on the market? No?

If not, what other dynos would be recommended to go and get my car baselined on?

Last edited by Nismo_370; 10-12-2009 at 10:34 PM.