View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 05:24 PM   #101 (permalink)
olddudesrule
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2012 Nismo
olddudesrule is on a distinguished road
Default Just adding some tips for 2012 owners...

Just finished the install of the Z1 Motorsports oil cooler kit (25 row Setrab w/ Mocal thermostatic sandwich plate). Overall, the install took me @ 4 hours start to finish, but I'm new to the car, and I generally read and reread the instructions. I didn't take any pictures because it pretty much mirrored the DYI already on here.

Went pretty smoothly, and per the DYI's I've seen, with just a couple of minor issues, specifically related to the 2012's and their factory oil cooler sandwich plate. The instructions from Z1 cover the difference in sandwich plate orientation (fittings come out @ 7:00 vice 10:00 when mounted), but in just a small section. I actually had to have my cooler line come in from two different angles (still merging at 7:00 on the plate) so that I could get the filter in there. Also, I chose to use the smaller (stock sized) filter, as opposed to the newer Purolater L14610 (stock sized in the L14612) because there just wasn't enough room for the larger filter. With the new factory oil cooler (water cooled), and the Mocal sandwich plate on there, there is little room for the bigger filter. I think I could have squeezed it in there, with the end of the bigger filter about 1/4" from the frame rail, but said "**** it" and went with the smaller filter.

Other than that issue, the only dig on the instructions is that the cooler line routing pics are from an older model, and with the 2012+, you'll have to find the best way to run yours. I ended up cutting a small piece of the hard plastic plate just under and right of the coolant bottle to run the lines up and over the frame rail, and down to the sandwich plate.

Lastly, since I have a Nismo, I needed to flip the front damper rod, but I also added the extra step of flipping the mounting plates too, so the writing on the damper sticker is face up. The kit came with four 1/8" washers to push the damper out forward a bit to clear the cooler, but I needed to add another 1/8"-1/4" to get sufficient clearance. Just to be safe, I also added some rubber fuel hose, two 1" sections, around the damper bar at the edges of the cooler to ensure the bar remains off the cooler fins.

Oh yea, the cooler mounting holes at the bottom, the right one specifically, needed to be elongated to allow me to get to the bolt hole. No biggie, but another mod needing attention.

Overall, I'm pleased so far. Have just started it and let it run a couple of times to check for leaks before I put the under tray back on. No leaks, but you are adding another five points of failure to the oil cooling system (two connections at the cooler, two at the Mocal sandwich plate, and the Mocal sandwich plate against the factory plate. This makes me leary, and I'll be keeping an eye on it.

I'll add a post after I've gotten a chance to see the difference in oil temps. We're already hovering @ 100+ here in Phoenix, so it's gonna be needed....
olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote