View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 09:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
JARblue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 11 Z34, 98 E36 M3
JARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby1113 View Post
I have SRM on in case that helps figure out a problem.
Use SRM to learn how the car wants to shift from 1st to 2nd. Find where you want to start your shift (e.g. 1st gear @ 3K RPM), then start your shift, but don't engage the clutch and let SRM rev match as you move the shift knob to 2nd. Note how long it took for the RPMs to drop and how far they dropped as well as speed. While the RPMs drop you will typically lose your momentum from acceleration, which can affect the proper RPMs for engaging 2nd gear. Do this on your normal commute, or take some time in an empty parking lot to practice

Once SRM helped me learn these nuances, I turned it off because I often found myself fighting it when I wanted to rev match myself on downshifts. With or without it, I can shift perfectly smooth at cruising speed or WOT in any gear (WOT isn't really smooth per se - but the clutch action is smooth). This is not to say that I'm smooth every time I shift, but that it is possible to drive the Z 6MT very smooth. There are enough problems with the stock clutch package that you might very well have an issue, though it's hard to diagnose without experiencing it for one's self.

2011 370Z 6MT Sport Gun Metallic | ARC | CJM | Ecutek | FI | Fujimura | R2C | SPL | Stillen | TWM | Z1 | ZSpeed |
JARblue is offline   Reply With Quote