View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dynotronics1
Base Member

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Dynotronics1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by elperuano View Post
Well pretty much what others have stated. ECUtek is claiming to be superior to UPrev. I see no dyno sheets, the original post just has words but no actual proof to back it up in THIS community. Lot of tuners I've spoken with know about it but haven't used it yet. What gains can be bad from ECUtek that can't be had from uprev.
The 1 dyno sheet is of an almost stock Z. U can't be referring to that can you??? Side by side comparisons of an uprev tune and an ECUtek tune (with a car that has mods). From good tuners also.
How is ECUtek superior to uprev when it seems its still in the "beta" phase while uprev has been out in this community for years.

No knock against ECUtek at all but I'd like to see what can be done before switching. Why aren't there more tuners out there that are familiar with this software? Most don't know or won't want to switch (yet). But if that's the case then it seems from the outside lookin in that this is a little premature.
well first off, there is nothing "beta" about it. All EcuTek tuners are able to get the SW suite at this time. SW is very complete, however Ecutek is always updating the different platforms. We get almost daily SW updates from EcuTek on all of the platforms we work with.

Second, you need to note that it was one vendor, not EcuTek, that said the SW is better that what is currently on the market. I did not make the statement mentioned above, but in my opinion, as a Pro tuning shop, and a mechanical engineer, having used both, the Ecutek is better.

Why don't more tuners know about it? Good question, maybe your asking the wrong tuners? Most professional tuning shops in the US, and the world, know who Ecutek is, and quite a few of them use the SW. If you were to drop around to a shop that has Subaru clients, or Mazda, or Mitsubishi, or even Nissan( that has done Juke, or GTR work), I think you would find the story different. They may or may not use EcuTek, but I assure you, they know who they are.

What can EcuTek do that Uprev can't? Also a damn fine question; the short answer is expand. Expand the reach of a pro tuner into areas such as VVEL and VVT, as well as simplified ignition tuning for boosted cars. And yes, map switching is coming, along with custom tables to allow a wide range of adjustments to things like traction control, per gear rev limits, flat foot shifting, launch control, etc, etc.

Is it for everyone? Nope. There are those that will never be happy unless they can tinker with the tuning themselves, and I doubt that will happen anytime soon. But it is a good option, and for those of you who like uprev, think of it this way; maybe a new option will make them move ahead

Oh, and about your statement "From good tuners also", you might want to look Visconti up, he is one of the best tuners in the country. Yes he can be a bit of an ***( and I think of him as a friend) but that's just the way John comes off on the computer. He does know how to tune a car
Dynotronics1 is offline   Reply With Quote