View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #120 (permalink)
ImportConvert
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2019 CX5 GT Reserve
ImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy'sz View Post
it doesn't matter how hot your engine oil has gotten. You can hard cycle the brakes a couple of times and park it and whala...warped rotors.

Here is a little tip I learnt when I first got my Z. I got it up to 140 on a back country straight line road, when coming to a panic stop it worked great the first time. After driving around for a couple of minutes with no brake use at about 45 I went back to the same road again. I got up to almost 145 and panic stopped again. When I hit about 50 it started to fade on me a little bit. It was that point in time that I was downshifting and blew through a couple of stop signs. My point is this, when you notice that brake fade coming in, that is your WARNING that any more braking after this is the point in which you are going to be depositing brake material onto the rotor and it will cause glazing and/or warping.

I drove the car for about 30 minutes with no braking at 75mph. Since I didn't park the brakes with the brakes that hot or near so, I haven't had any problems with warping or anything of that nature.
Only had two cars that would fade on the first stop. A 1995 Trans AM. It went 170K miles on stock rotors. A 1988 mustang GT. I replaced the rotors once just because I wanted to when I was doing the build, and never again.

My 2001 WS6 would have brake-fade after the first few stops from 80 or so.
It warped the rotors once at around 80K miles, and never again during my ownership (sold at 150K miles).

My 370Z has dicked up the rotors and/or pads 4 times in 22,000 miles, but never any brake fade. Just flat-out suck with no warning.

The more and more I read about the BRZ, the more and more I feel like an STi version would be THE car for me. I don't care so much about power, but 20-30whp more than the "regular" BRZ would make it nicer. Think S2000. Everything I read leads me to think the BRZ is like a Corvette...if it were lighter and had better communication with the driver, and less power/grip so you could play more with it on the street. In a 'vette, if you are going fast enough to actually have fun on the street, you're being totally irresponsible and stupid. My a 370Z and "slower", you can have quite a bit of fun without risking any more than your own hide and some scratches on a guard-rail unless you're an idiot. That's what I like. Having a car I can push a bit on the street without acting a total fool. Mind you not in town redlight to redlight, but rather, lazy afternoon drives down a country road.

Last edited by ImportConvert; 05-27-2013 at 12:55 PM.
ImportConvert is offline   Reply With Quote