View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
white_wolf
Base Member

Drives: 40th Anni. Ed. 370z
white_wolf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0rM View Post
I've had my Z for a little over a year and it's never been washed. I quick detail it and dust it as needed. If you stay on top of if, and you're not driving in the rain/muddy roads a lot, you should never need a wash.

Even the best car washes will scratch your clear coat. This has been pretty well documented by some of the detailing websites out there. One run though isn't going to ruin your paint but doing it regularly will start to degrade the depth of your shine.

Excessive washing or wiping can cause micro scratches that will dim the shine of your paint over time. The clear coat on most cars scratches very easily. Even wiping dirt away with a clean microfiber towel can cause tiny scratches.

As a rule of thumb, don't touch your paint if you don't have to. If you do have to, be gentle and always dust with a California Duster before you wipe.
Too lazy to write everything out... but basically what he said.

I don't recommend using auto car washes... it WILL scratch/mar your paint. I can't comment on touch less car washes because I don't think we have them here on Oahu.

I detail cars on the side; trust me, good hand washing technique is the way to go. I myself use a foam lance on my car.

white_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote