View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 07:24 AM   #4465 (permalink)
dmhenderson
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: AWD TT 370z
dmhenderson is a splendid one to beholddmhenderson is a splendid one to beholddmhenderson is a splendid one to beholddmhenderson is a splendid one to beholddmhenderson is a splendid one to beholddmhenderson is a splendid one to beholddmhenderson is a splendid one to beholddmhenderson is a splendid one to behold

1) accept that you are going to destroy your shift knob in the process of taking it off the car. I've done it twice - on my current car the knob actually ripped in half all the way through the aluminum threading.

2). Assemble the following: two pipe wrenches, a towel, wire brush, and a friend.

3). Attach wrench #1 to shift knob. Wrap towel around shifter (shaft) and attach wrench #2. Have your friend hold wrench #2 steady so you don't torque the gearbox and go to town on the shift knob. It'll come off. Use wire brush to clean threading on shaft.

Nissan uses a ridiculous amount of loctite on the OEM shift knob for reasons I will never understand - especially considering they sell aftermarket shift knobs.

Hth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk