View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
JARblue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 11 Z34, 98 E36 M3
JARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond repute
Talking First impressions of EcuTek tune on nearly stock Z

Big to Joe @ Dynotronics for letting my Z be his guinea pig for the new EcuTek software. Since the software is still pretty much beta with new features still to be added (like map switching), this tune is a work in progress. Joe spent the past few days with the Z in his possession working on the tune, spending the majority of time on the fuel maps (the Z was running very rich). He also recalibrated my MAF sensors, and advanced (I think) the cam timing slightly (not VVEL). After we do some more data logging and Joe is completely satisfied with all of the adjustments, we will dyno the car with stock and tuned maps for comparison. When this happens will depend on any additional adjustments that need to be made as well as scheduling a time to get the Z back down to New Braunfels; please be patient in asking for numbers as it will likely be June or later before we get there.

**DISCLAIMER** Joe: please don't hesitate to jump in and clarify or correct anything. Everyone else: most of this tune stuff is pretty new to me, so if anything I post doesn't make sense, or is just plain wrong, please let me know. I'd appreciate constructive criticism rather than name calling, but I know that's not always possible

The good news is I am very happy with the tune, as there are some noticeable improvements, particularly with the throttle response. I won't go so far as to say the change is night and day, but it is significant enough that my clutch action seemed slightly behind the entire drive home yesterday (~1 hr). This morning was much better, and already I feel like I'm getting used to the vehicle again. I suspect in a week or so, the extra "peppy" feeling will be pretty much gone, but the car is definitely performing better. I feel like this is how the car should come stock, much like people who think the FI exhaust is how the car should sound stock. I will also be paying attention to see if the adjusted AFR affects my gas mileage in any way, but this is an after-thought as far as my expectations of the tune.

The bad news is my experience, and more specifically this review, is unlikely to be particularly helpful to the crowd who already has an Uprev tune. The improvements I am seeing after the tune are comparable to what I've read about Uprev results, although the EcuTek tuners claim that EcuTek's software shows a much better understanding of the Nissan ECUs than Uprev. I think that many of you will want to wait until the software has more development (i.e. more features are released), and I know many will want to see proven gains from those features not available with Uprev (i.e. VVEL control). Unfortunately, at this time, it looks like you guys will have to dive in head first yourselves or wait for others to share their results.

Here are some additional thoughts and observations. A cold start revs over 2K RPMs now (used to be around 1500 or less) with the same idle around 700 RPMs. We did not adjust the rev-limiter. I am very much looking forward to the addition of more features from EcuTek such as map switching (I desperately want valet mode) and TCS control (I am hoping we can turn off VDC and ABLS at the same time without losing ABS - Joe I know I haven't mentioned this but it's in the back of my mind).

And lastly, since this has already come up, I know some of you are wondering why a stock Z with only intakes would bother getting a tune. The main reason is Joe gave me such a smashing deal for letting my Z be the guinea pig that I couldn't pass it up (free tune, free dyno, license at cost). And right now, after the initial tune results, I am of the impression that a $600 EcuTek tune is much more beneficial to the Z than a $1000 CBE (performance-wise only - if you're primary goal is sound, then exhaust modification has no equal). As much as I want the Z to sound better, performance is a much higher priority.

2011 370Z 6MT Sport Gun Metallic | ARC | CJM | Ecutek | FI | Fujimura | R2C | SPL | Stillen | TWM | Z1 | ZSpeed |
JARblue is offline   Reply With Quote