View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #385 (permalink)
N8GTOL
Base Member

Drives: and flies
N8GTOL has a reputation beyond reputeN8GTOL has a reputation beyond reputeN8GTOL has a reputation beyond reputeN8GTOL has a reputation beyond reputeN8GTOL has a reputation beyond reputeN8GTOL has a reputation beyond reputeN8GTOL has a reputation beyond reputeN8GTOL has a reputation beyond reputeN8GTOL has a reputation beyond reputeN8GTOL has a reputation beyond reputeN8GTOL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikuh View Post
For the strut bar issue, I am curious if something like this can work well.

Was thinking keep the rear part of the triangular bar, cut off the center piece and use a bar like this to wrap around the front. Don't see why there wouldn't be room in front of the manifold for something like this.

As for strength compared to what we currently have, I won't even begin to guess. Most engineering I have ever done is on a phone app.
Room to do it this way would not be my concern. A U-shaped bar like that would not be as stiff as the stock 370z brace which runs straight across. That big U is much more flexible out of plane than a straight across brace. You give up more mechanical advantage by not going straight across and would signifficantly reduce the out of plane stiffness unless you increased the thickness of the new brace enough to add back enough flexural and torsional rigidity which is just more weight and less efficient.