View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013, 12:42 AM   #32 (permalink)
DarkJak
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2009 370Z
DarkJak has a reputation beyond reputeDarkJak has a reputation beyond reputeDarkJak has a reputation beyond reputeDarkJak has a reputation beyond reputeDarkJak has a reputation beyond reputeDarkJak has a reputation beyond reputeDarkJak has a reputation beyond reputeDarkJak has a reputation beyond reputeDarkJak has a reputation beyond reputeDarkJak has a reputation beyond reputeDarkJak has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTideZ30 View Post
See what is this!!! After the reviews I'm leaning 370 and now y'all are starting to scare me!!! What is VDC and what is so unpredictable about the 370 that you might end up in trouble?
It's a RWD car that has enough power to break traction on a turn easily.

It is scarier than an FRS/BRZ because the tires are stickier and the car can grip more on a turn, so when you do break traction, the change from static friction to kinetic friction is a larger drop than with a less grippy tire. That's one reason why people say the FRS handles so well. Toyota put the same tires on the car that they put on the Prius. The tires are skinnier than the Z's too. So when the rear breaks loose, it happens more gradually, as oppsed to our cars, which snap out less gradually.

Another thing that makes the car a little more unpredictable is the shorter wheelbase and length. I noticed this between driving our G37 and 370Z. Both were on PSS, so I know it's not due to the tires. Shorter wheelbase and length results in a lower moment (rotational inertia), so the "force" that rotates the rear out can do it much faster than in a longer car.

Honestly though, if you keep VDC on you'll be fine. I wouldn't practice driving with it off on anything other than a closed controlled environment. Like a track with decent runoff.
09 7AT|MCS 2WNR|Topgunz Rotrex|Ecutek (Eugene)|Maxxis RC1|Titan-7 TS-5|OSG LSD|Rear Mount Derale Oil Cooler (WIP)+25 Trans Cooler|Fismo|G-LOC R12/R10|Zeta III L|NLR Wing and Splitter|CJM Pan and Fuel Hat|Radium Surge Tank|AP Racing CP9668
DarkJak is offline   Reply With Quote