View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #63 (permalink)
UNKNOWN_370
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: well over 130m.p.h.
UNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Firehawk View Post
I say give the market a few years and we will have an influx of buyers trading in their Toyobaru for more power. The toyobarus will go to highschoolers and kids starting college, and those in the market for a Japanese sports car will have few options if they buy new.

Currently there is the EVO (for how long), WRX/STI, Z, and GTR that are still sold new. Toyota sits on their sales throne with their thumb up their @ss on the future Supra, Acura teases a retard expensive NSX, Honda doesn't have $hit but an Si (ROFL), the market was starved for cheap performance. Mazda has the MX-5, but that is catered to a very specific market, and the MS3, which is long in the tooth.

Believe it or not, some of these guys in their current econoboxes, wannabe sports cars, and Toyobarus want something faster and moar race car. Believe it or not, not all of them want a Camaro/Mustang/Challenger. Nissan would be foolish to miss this opportunity in their redesign. Some of us just want a Japanese sports car. There are plenty of American and European choices.

Go back and read the reviews of when the 370Z first came to market. It was praised. The car didn't change. Even in the midst of the SS having 426hp, it was still praised. The problem was that it's flaws were highly criticized in nearly every magazine they don't care about reporting your steering lock issues). Oil temps, brakes failing after a lap, and the NVH, which I really just think is a $hitty stock exhaust. Rough exhaust sound can easily be mistaken as rough engine. Every enthusiast that cross shops will read a mag review and see it. In reality, those issues aren't a problem for most owners. How many forum members have actually driven the balls out of the car to the point where they ran into those issues? There are some, but not many. The shadow of doubt has been cast from the beginning. It was Nissan's choice not to fix those issues that year and they did not.

They lost that gamble It wasn't until 2012 they half a$$ed the oil cooler, 2013- upgraded brake lines and fluid, but the Nismo pads are still an option. . Ford and Chevy continued to improve. The Mustang improved power, added Recaro Seats, introduced the Boss 302, improved their GT500 every year, and catered to their market. The Camaro improved the steering wheel people complained about, the shift knob, the Suspension in 2012, as well as improved the interior, added the 1LE package for their enthusiasts, introduced the ZL1 package, and they brought back the Z28 option. And Chevy has the Corvette if they didn't cover the market enough. We have to go from Z to GTR, that's a significant price jump. The Nismo is not doing well to fill that gap or separate it's performance enough from normal Z's for the price they charge. In comparison, we see a huge performance improvement from a base Mustang GT to a Boss or even a track pack. Same goes for a Base SS to the 1LE.

I don't think Nissan needs to go punch for punch in the HP war, but they need to make up for it everywhere else.
This

I agree with everything you said. But your last sentence hits home.