View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #29 (permalink)
UNKNOWN_370
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: well over 130m.p.h.
UNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDreamer View Post
Read it and one of the comments is correct.
The Z is beaten in most of the categories it competes in by any other competitor, and then the price is in a bracket that is not the best value for what you get.
Mai Wei Tao's comment was spot on BIG tIME.

"The 370Z is one of the most distinctive cars on the road. At least it is within a price range most would consider affordable. It's styling addressed many of the shortcomings with the 350Z, namely that the design felt incomplete and was starting to look dated by the end of it's run.

The problem with the Z is that it's market has dried up. I think it's a similar problem to what we've seen with less expensive Japanese coupes. The people to whom the car appeals can't afford it and everyone else wants something more upmarket. This is evidenced by the fact that it's expensive twin, the G35/G37 coupe continues to sell fairly well. People want their sportiness immersed in luxury.

A second problem is that it's performance is middling. It's never been a standout in comparisons. There has always been a car better at every individual task than the Z. The fact that people modify them is irrelevant if other cars offer a better starting point.

The Z doesn't enjoy the same kind of loyalty as a Mustang or a Camaro. If they're going to offer a BR-Z/FR-S competitor it would make more sense to revive 240SX. Going upmarket doesn't make sense either, as they've already got the aforementioned G37 and the GT-R. I don't know if the market is there for anything in between either of those cars. A baby GT-R might make more sense.

The point is that as nice as it would be to see a proper successor to the Z I just don't think the market exists anymore. Look at the attention the Juke-R has generated. I don't think the kind of person interested in a performance-oriented compact SUV is ever going to be interested in a low slung sports car. The few who are shop elsewhere."
written by, Mai Wei Tao

Last edited by UNKNOWN_370; 05-16-2013 at 12:19 PM.
UNKNOWN_370 is offline   Reply With Quote