Thread: 7AT question
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
DEpointfive0
Premium Member Bitches

Drives: a lot
DEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond reputeDEpointfive0 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Cruiser View Post
I've been thinking about it some more and I think the grinding noise was from gears. At first I thought that the branch might have got caught on something spinning, like the flywheel/flex-plate. But since it got caught on the shift linkages, it probably shifted the transmission into a different gear, or to park, or half-way between gears? The car was in gear though when I pulled over.

Never had anything like that happen before, even when off-roading (not in the 370z). Probably a lot better chance of hitting a deer, but I've never hit a deer before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Cruiser View Post
I believe so. I think there is a lock/pawl/ratchet that needs to be physically engaged. This is what keeps the wheels locked and keeps you from rolling when in park.
There are no "gear linkages" that go from gear to gear, from P to R to D, sure, mechanical