Thread: 7AT question
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 10:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
SouthArk370Z
Premium Member

Drives: 2014 Challenger
SouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Cruiser View Post
Yesterday I was out on a drive and ran over a small branch. It got kicked up into the undercarriage and got caught on some part of the transmission. ... I think it somehow also got caught in the gear shift linkages, as I couldn't move the shifter from where it was in manual mode. I put the parking brake on, fought with the branch a little bit and got it free. Afterwards, the shifter works normally and the transmission shifts fine.

My question is, is it normal for something to be able get kicked up and disable the car like that? Shouldn't there be a protective plate/shield?
I'm with XwChriswX - freak accident.

What confuses me is how it could jam the shifter. The 7AT is "fly-by-wire" and, as far as I can tell from the FSM, no part of the shifter mechanism is outside of the cabin.