View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #72 (permalink)
JARblue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 11 Z34, 98 E36 M3
JARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfeinst View Post
( Click to show/hide )
I'm on 4.2.2, no issues. Okay, first off, nobody should be doing audio mods without replacing the speakers on a base system. For a little over $100, no amp necessary, you can get a great set. Installation not difficult if you have a modicum of discipline and patience.

Bluetooth signals do carry volume information, but the bulk of the amplification comes from the head unit. Once again, the base unit is horrible. $140 for my HU, built-in BT. No amp, but not needed. OBD II BT transmitter was $25 on Amazon. Ask me for the link if interested; there are 15 bad ones and 1 good one.

The AUX jack on any receiver likely wont sound as good as BT, since it's mainly an afterthought analog input, which means crap quality; this is the biggest weakness of the stock HU, and the volume will need to be turned way up on any input; loss of frequencies tend to occur at this connection.

My N7 is mounted on a heavily cut down stock cubbyhole. I used wire cutters to dig into the felt/plastic material and cut out the borders until the tablet fit snugly. Use the red (extra strength) 3M double-sided tape from a place like AutoZone to mount. A micro USB cable is permanently fixed to the N7; the rubber casing on the cable had to be stripped to allow for angular flexibility of the cable because of the right HVAC vent blocking the path. The wire goes down to the passenger side power jack, which I unmounted from its awful stock position under the glovebox and moved it up under the glovebox overhang. Power supply is absolutely key; N7 is very picky. PowerGEN 3.1A dual charger (NA port) highly recommended for steady supply of power.

I'll go into more detail upon request. Bottom line, components are the make-it or break-it of a functional setup. It can be done under $300 including speakers/HU and tools. Took a lot of trial and error (>30 hrs).
Good info and some good points. Speakers are definitely an easy upgrade (and can be inexpensive, too, if that's your goal), but I would argue that adding the N7 should not be defined as an "audio mod". Many people are going to do this for the Torque app; those that are interested in true audio mods are going to go for the real audio gear like a new HU, speakers, and amp(s).

That being said, if the stock HU is the weakest link in the chain and the culprit affecting music quality, I won't hesitate to upgrade my HU. However, if I was interested in only audio, I probably wouldn't bother with the N7 at that point. A solution that does not require replacing the stock HU, would be ideal for many people.

I am interested to see where people will go from here. I am still interested in the N7, but having to purchase a new HU will significantly alter my thoughts on the matter because I will likely purchase the Pioneer AVIC flagship model or similar whenever the time comes. After spending that much money, I probably won't bother investing in anything for the N7 except the Torque app and a way to mount it with power.

2011 370Z 6MT Sport Gun Metallic | ARC | CJM | Ecutek | FI | Fujimura | R2C | SPL | Stillen | TWM | Z1 | ZSpeed |
JARblue is offline   Reply With Quote