View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #13 (permalink)
cheshirecat
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: N54 135i
cheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond reputecheshirecat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrawr View Post
ahh.. yes thanks for the heads up. i just checked their site and they wanted all waxes, silicones, etc. off the car before applying opti-coat.. i'm guessing it doubles as a shiner?
anyone here care to share any experience with opt-coat 2.0?
and of course i'll wash it regularly and keep it in my garage. no brainer!
Opti-coat is a resin that sort of functions like an additional thin clear coat. It helps to keep contaminants out of the factory finish and also keeps chemicals or debris from damaging the exterior. It will also give the exterior more of a luster which is comparable to a decent sealant.

It is not a substitution for a clear bra, which is a much stronger form of protection from physical damage.

Opti-coat should be applied to a completely clean (meaning no waxes, sealants, or the like) and pristine panel. If you have light scratches, paint chips, or any other defect in the paint, those should be addressed before applying Opti-coat. You want the panel looking 100% like how you would want it for the rest of the time you own the car.

I suggest working on one panel at a time.

The process on a non-prepped panel would be:

- Wash with whatever car wash product you have laying around- mix in a small amount of Adam's All Purpose Cleaner to help remove wax
- Use a clay bar or equivalent tool on the panel to remove debris and leftover wax
- Spray a dilution of isopropyl alcohol (the rubbing kind at the drug store) and water to remove any leftover product caused by claying

At this point you should have a clean panel that's ready for prep.

- Fix any rock chips with Dr. Colorchip
- Fix any swirls or light scratches (anything that doesn't catch on your fingernail) with a DA polisher and appropriate pads- too much info on that for this post

Now, your panel should be prepped correctly for the Opti-coat.

Apply the opti-coat. It doesn't take much at all. Read the instructions on the side of the bottle. Several drops will be necessary to prep your applicator and only a few drops will be needed as you continue to apply it. Be sure to READ THE DIRECTIONS, as timing is important when it comes to using the product.

The Opti-coat dries very quickly. Once you're done applying, you're ready for a good sealant and wax once the sealant cures.

It's a lot of work, but if you focus on one panel at a time, it's not as bad. Also, once you do this, you're good for quite a while.
cheshirecat is offline   Reply With Quote