View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
voegelin
Base Member

Drives: Black 2011 Touring
voegelin is on a distinguished road
Default What happens when you turn off traction control

So, I'm a newb, getting to know the limits of my car. Showing off. Being a jerk.

My daughter and I were driving back from school. So I thought I'd impress her (I am am admittedly irresponsible father and will never post my real name because I don't want to visited by child protective services). I turned off traction control, and turned (fast) onto a long on-ramp, then hit it in 2nd. I was more than a little surprised at how fast oversteer kicked in and how much oversteeer there was. As the car turned fully sideways and as my daughter was looking straight down the road by looking out her side window (and maybe screaming just a bit) I thought, "my daughter might get hurt and my wife is going to leave me and I MIGHT DAMAGE MY 370!!".

Needless to say, I got off the throttle, but too quickly. The back end snapped around hard and started a reverse slide.

But, for only a split second. Then, I felt the hands of an angel take hold, and somehow speed was quickly reduced and the back and forth sliding just stopped - fast. Peacefully - gently.

So, this long preface leads to my question: Even with traction control off - it isn't ever REALLY off is it? There is an idiot emergency traction control isn't there? Something saved me from a bad situation the other day. I suspect it was computerized. Thoughts?
voegelin is offline   Reply With Quote