View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lunar-Eclipse
Base Member

Drives: '10 40th Anniversary
Lunar-Eclipse is on a distinguished road
Default Odd electrical issue

I bought another Z about a week ago. Today I installed my Pioneer headunit. I used the same headunit and wiring harness that I used in my last Z. I didn't cut any wires it was just plug and play. The headunit works great.

The odd thing that's happening is that now my cigarette lighters have a really low voltage. Both the passenger side one and the center console one show about 2.7V and anything I plug into them doesn't get enough juice. I pulled the kick panel and replaced the "cigar lighter" and "power socket" fuses. They didn't look blown but I swapped them anyway. No change in the voltage reading. Something else I noticed is that there was a fuse in a place where the diagram shows there should be nothing. I don't know if that's relevant but I thought I'd throw it into the mix.

I looked at the cigarette lighters electrical diagram in the service manual and it shows that both sockets get their power from the same source. Since both show the same voltage level then I'm assuming the problem is upstream.

Since I'm getting some voltage I'm thinking it's either a partially melted fuse or a damaged wire (I'm really hoping it's a fuse). Is there another fuse panel I should be looking at that would also handle the cigarette lighter?

Can I just remove the fuse and stick my volt meter in the fuse panel to see if it's dishing out 14V?

Could someone post a picture of their kick panel and engine bay fuse boxes so I can confirm that everything looks right on mine?

Thanks in advance.
Lunar-Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote