View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #79 (permalink)
SouthArk370Z
Premium Member

Drives: 2014 Challenger
SouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JARblue View Post
lol thanks SouthArk Always with the technical answer I understand how and why a fuel pump can fail but not how it relates to my fuel fill up habits. Running out of fuel seems to be the most likely reason for failure, but otherwise, it's likely going to be a event that happens randomly and unrelated to the fuel level at the time of failure. I hope that makes sense.

Sorry, I'll try not to beat this dead horse any more
Makes sense to me ... I think. Makes sense if you're saying that total, extended loss of fuel flow will kill a pump, but random, short-term losses cause little damage and tank level is just not all that important (as far as the fuel pump is concerned) for most DDs?

I suppose if you spent most of your time doing hard corners on a low tank (eg, at the track) it could be a problem. I've never experienced it in my Z, but assume that the engine cutout would be very noticeable and one would know it was time to add some fuel.

Neigh, neigh. Whinney, whinney. The Famous Mr. Ed.