View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 06:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
Coon-azz
Track Member

Drives: '12 370z Sport DD
Coon-azz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JARblue View Post
lol no... that's just the dealership or shop you went to trying to get some extra $$$ from you

7500 miles is the recommended oil maintenance interval for normal driving. I do my own change around 5K typically (5 qts @ Walmart is $25). I've got a 2011 with 34.5K

Agreed! I do my own changes, but because of all the stop and go traffic I encounter in my daily driver, I change it at around'ish every 5,000 miles. I've seen no difference in the oil to feel/touch and sight from 5k to 7k; but its pretty dirty for me in this car. Just my 2 cents. I've used Mobile 1 full synthetic (which is now getting really expensive) but I've seen what it does in the long wrong.

Case Study on two prior cars.
1) 2002 Jeep wrangler. Switched to Mobile 1 full synthetic after the 1st oil change. This was 4 wheeled often and served as a daily driver (120 miles round trip a day). At 80k miles, I crushed the oil pan during a weekend trip. When I went to install the new pan, we had full access to view the motor internals etc. It was so clean no one believed me that I had 80,000 miles on it. In fact, the oil pan was spotless on the inside...

2) 2008 Pontiac solstice- blew the motor due to factor defect. Had been using mobile 1 full synth.. stealership said the same thing about the engine when they took it apart to find the cause. They couldn't believe how clean it was.

New-2012 370z. Same driving conditions and still using Mobile 1 full synth.

I'm not promoting Mobile 1, but I am sharing my firsthand experience with a full synthetic oil. Take if for what it’s worth. I've done the same on the family hybrid with 160,000+ miles. So far, no problems and the engine runs great!

Last edited by Coon-azz; 05-01-2013 at 06:34 AM.
Coon-azz is offline   Reply With Quote