View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #758 (permalink)
JARblue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 11 Z34, 98 E36 M3
JARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampirex View Post
So there is no fix for this trouble for us in Europe.

Here in France it is not as clear as that. For a car to be recordable, it has to be homologated (European or French). Once the homologation done succesfully by the manufacturer, the car and especially all that is required by law, is described and detailed in a reference ”reception record”. With every car, a “certificate of conformity” is delivered, describing the car synthetically and referencing to the reception record. The CoC (Certficat of Conformity) is necessary to record and get a license plate. Everything that is described in the “reception record” cannot be suppressed or modified. Removing a fuse to alter behavior of something is forbiden.
So it is highly improbable that a policeman ask you on a road side if your lock steering is working. But the insurance coverage is given on the CoC basis, so if a sinister arises, of course for small amount of money they don’t check a lot, But if the sinister involves expensive indemnities or repairs, they try to not pay and if the car is not strictly conform, they say “This is not the car we had covered”. We know several cases like that and the procedures are long and expensive.

You are right, it is the easier, but the 370z is not a popular car like in USA and since 2013 this car is affected by a 6000€ (about 7700$) eco-tax, it became very difficult to sale, because this an increase of the price (same tax for Camaro, Charger…). So dealers sale only on order, and don't stock these cars.
BR.
PS I hope my explanation is clear in English as even in French it is not easy to explain.
Painfully clear, my friend. Well spoken You make extremely good points about the risk factors of pulling the fuse, and you're absolutely right it wouldn't make sense for you to try to sell your Z. Plus, it occurs to me that if it's required by law, the EU model will have the ESCL regardless of what the US model has.

Fritz has posted what I think is the best solution for you (harness or switch for the brown wire). Theoretically, modifying the brown wire still sounds like it could be construed as unlawful. And again, the largest risk factor is the vehicle being involved in a large insurance claim (you used the word sinister, which isn't quite accurate, but seven years of Latin in school helps my translation skills ). It's ridiculous that the ESCL would have anything to with any claim other than a stolen vehicle, but that's how it works.

2011 370Z 6MT Sport Gun Metallic | ARC | CJM | Ecutek | FI | Fujimura | R2C | SPL | Stillen | TWM | Z1 | ZSpeed |
JARblue is offline   Reply With Quote