View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #37 (permalink)
RonZwanson
Base Member

Drives: 2009 Black MT Sport
RonZwanson will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKindaGuise View Post
So guys...forum war?lololol

But on a serious note I really dig the cars and certainly wouldn't mind rolling with them. There seems to be this random hate that popped up out of no where. Im going to try and catch a few on the roads here and chat with um and see whats up. Get some good words spread around haha.
I feel like the "hatred" that has popped up is a response to BRZ/FR-S owners knowing they own a car that every auto journalist has creamed their jeans over. You know what else gets really good reviews? Honda Accords. But you don't see a lot of Accord owners claiming they own a car that is inherently better than a C Class.

I feel that BRZ/FR-S owners disregard the fact that all the journalists say the BRZ/FR-S are great within their price range/market. No journalist says it's a better car than a 458 Italia. And that's the (perceived) issue. BRZ/FR-S owners think they own THE car. Period.

Obviously not everyone that drives a certain car is same. I maintain that I fall slightly short of douchey, even though I'm sure the dude in a Focus or some other commuter car thinks I am. I feel like BRZ/FR-S owners have just earned a stigma of being arrogant due to their "selective referencing" of journalist reviews to justify their confidence. As a Z owner I could harp all day on the advantages of my car and ignore the fact that at high RPM our engines sound like raccoons knife fighting each other, and say that my car is better than car X and car Y.

That's part of car culture, I guess. Enthusiasts develop emotional connections to their car. Hell, my last car was a 2003 Maxima, and I swore that thing could spank an M3 (not seriously). I like the BRZ/FR-S for what they are. But I personally couldn't pull the trigger on buying one. As a sports car it doesn't have enough grunt for me, and as a commuter car it's too impractical. MotorTrend just did a comparison between the FR-S and the GTI, on their YouTube channel, and the FR-S guy begrudging had to agree that the GTI is actually a better all around car.