View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #28 (permalink)
SurfDog
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 6mt, 13 Sequoia,
SurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond reputeSurfDog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by faplifesmitty View Post
The vlsd is a piece

how does the Quaife perform against other diffs?
Ive only driven the Quaife, (and OEM) but for my mostly DDing and occasional dirt road drifting around the back woods it is great. It is much more predictable than the OEM VLSD (sport) and does not build up nearly as much heat. I believe it will be much more durable (than OEM) and know it is much more fun.

Bear in mind I'm more of a powerslider and doughnut spinner than a drifter, so I would look for more experienced drivers for advice if you are going for a "track drifting" upgrade.

I chose Quaife over locking clutch type LSD. (I think NISMO makes one BTW) due to this being mostly a DD and the clutch diffs are a bit unpleasant for DD. I understand there are "clunking noises etc and jerky around parking lots etc. Also I understand that the clutch plates inside 2 way diffs eventually wear down and require maintenance and go through diff fluid much more quickly due to heat buildup as they are friction operated.

overall I think they (clutch-plate style adjustable 1.5 and 2 way diffs) are better for "serious" drifters (which I am not) but the tradeoff is more maintenance and harsh DD.

Good luck with your choice. I recommend hitting up some drift events and talking to the guys before you decide. If that's not possibly bolt in something fun and decide for yourself! your real expense is going to be tires, you will hardly notice the money you spend maintaining your diff lol

Quaife LSDs are used in a lot of rally cars, so I know they are build for speed, but you would have to ask a real racer for a better understanding of the nitty gritty pros and cons.
09 6spd Berk CBE, JWT cams, ZSpeed CSC, Stillen (25 row oil, brake cooling, sways, gen3 CAI), Passport (9500ci), Quaife LSD, Z1 400 hp kit, ss lines, pads, rotors, clutch etc, Phunk's pan and fuel starve fix
SurfDog is offline   Reply With Quote