View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 09:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
FairladyZ
Track Member

Drives: 2012 370Z TRNG SPRT
FairladyZ is on a distinguished road
Default Unbiased frs/brz opinion over my very own 370z

Why am i looking at the twins? Read below

Financially, I am in a bit of a jam. Ill try to make this short. Last year I didn't expect myself to be going back to school this quick so I bought myself a brand new 2012 370z touring sport.. I just got into UCLA's graduate program to become an NP and have come to realize the tuition is killer. I am looking at about 100k. Personally, investing in myself comes first so school is priority over fun. That isn't my reason to look for a cheaper alternative though. At my orientation, UCLA told us that to be successful in this program I would have to curb my hours at work and be part time.

That is where the problem lies. With me being part time, owning the Z is becoming more unrealistic. With full time I can easily afford the car, unfortunately its looking like I have to part with it since i may have to reduce my hours.

So the hunt begins....

For a cheaper alternative in the 20's there is no other car i wanted but the frs or brz.

Subaru in socal is a joke. They are all greedy pigs and want a ridiculous mark up. Scion however is more willing to deal. Today, i finally found a dealer to let me test drive a frs. MY first impression of the car itself was that it looks amazing. Now onto the drive.

As soon as you start driving the car you do feel the weight difference coming from a Z.

Handling: The frs feels sharp and crisp, the Z gets the job done but takes a little bit more effort. They both handle amazing, but because the frs is a lighter I got the impression that it handled better. The Z rolls a little bit while the FRS stays a bit more planted. I didn't go fast enough to throw the tail out so I didn't experience what most reviewers said about the Prius tires.

Engine: The frs in cabin engine noise sounds great. I did a few 0-60 runs and felt the engine sounded great up to redline. Power wise I felt this was a huge step back. If anyone is coming from 300+ horses this car will feel slow. Even though it feels slow, it works for this car though. I wasn't disappointed at all. It still felt sufficient.

Cabin: The layout is easy, everything is in reach. Seating position is great, i felt I was able to see out easier with less blind spots. The seats hug a little more. However, i couldn't help the fact that everything felt a little cheap. The Z's materials is superior, but I suppose I can live with the scion.

Overall build quality: The hood, doors, panels, everything just feels cheaper. I suppose this is why the car is so light. Thankfully....driving the car makes you quickly forget all that but i couldn't help to compare this aspect of the Z to the FRS.

Final oppinion: For the money, comparing new cars to new cars....... I definitely would not buy anything over the FRS or BRZ in the 20 thousand range, THESE CARS ARE DEFINITELY WORTH IT. However, i don't know if it was all the magazine hype but I don't get what the HOOPLA is all about. This car isn't a gift from heaven. I honestly feel advertisement money went along way here but what do I know. Don't get me wrong, this car is great, it looks nice, handles nice, and does have fun factor but THROWING money aside I WOULD NEVER EVER cross shop this versus a Z. The Z is in another class, The Z i felt is more well rounded, its FAST, and handles just as good.

Will I buy the car? It is very possible that I may have to do the switch. After driving the FRS, I felt I won't be missing much except the power, but even then the FRS felt sufficient like i mentioned above. If i wasn't in the JAM i am in, i wouldnt even think twice about getting rid of my Z. Unfortunately, in my position I will have to reassess my situation and see what I can do.

At the End of the day, these two cars are on separate playing fields. The Z is great for the price and for what it can do but so is the FRS. Bottom line is I wouldn't mind driving either, but will never ever pick one over the Z if I didn't have to. Thank you for reading!
FairladyZ is offline   Reply With Quote